Trump Administration Tightens Green Card Rules, Forces Visa Holders to Leave U.S. for Processing

A major shift in U.S. immigration policy has been announced, as the Trump administration introduces new rules requiring many temporary visa holders to leave the country before applying for permanent residency.

The decision marks a significant change to long-standing immigration practice, where applicants could previously adjust their status to obtain a Green Card while remaining inside the United States.

Under the new directive, applicants on temporary visas will now be required to return to their home countries to complete consular processing, except in exceptional circumstances.

Advertisement

Moreover, immigration officials say the move is intended to reshape how long-term residency applications are handled and reduce backlogs within the system.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesperson Zach Kahler explained the policy shift in a statement released on Friday.

“From now on, an alien who is in the U.S. temporarily and wants a Green Card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesperson Zach Kahler said in a statement.

He further added, “When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the U.S. illegally after being denied residency.”

According to officials, the policy applies to individuals on non-immigrant visas, including students, temporary workers, and tourists. These groups are generally expected to remain in the United States only for limited periods and specific purposes.

“Our system is designed for them to leave when their visit is over. Their visit should not function as the first step in the Green Card process,” Kahler said.

Furthermore, officials argue that shifting processing to U.S. consular offices abroad will allow immigration services to focus on other priorities, including victims of crime, humanitarian cases, and naturalization applications.

“This policy will make our system fairer and more efficient,” Kahler stated.

However, former USCIS official Doug Rand criticized the move, warning that it could block many applicants from completing the process.

“The purpose of this policy is exclusion,” Rand said in a statement. “Remember that Trump has banned people from over 100 countries from returning to the U.S., so forcing them to go abroad for consular processing is no pathway at all.”

Meanwhile, humanitarian groups have also raised concerns about the impact on families and long-term residents.

World Relief described the policy as “cruel” and “anti-family,” warning that it could separate spouses and children.

Myal Greene, president and CEO of the organization, said, “This policy, impacting individuals who meet the legal requirements for a green card, will force apart husbands from wives and children from their parents.”

Greene further added that there was no strong justification for the decision and called for reversal through courts, Congress, or administrative review.

Meanwhile, affected applicants are expected to reassess their legal options as the new rules take effect.

Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertisement