A tense political moment unfolded in Lagos as Desmond Elliot withdrew from the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for Surulere 1. The move followed allegations of intimidation and restricted access for his supporters during the selection process.
The decision was announced on Wednesday and has added tension to the ongoing APC primary disputes in the state.
The situation has drawn attention to internal disagreements within the party structure in Surulere.
Meanwhile, Elliot, who currently represents Surulere 1 in the Lagos State House of Assembly, said his supporters were prevented from participating in the exercise across several zones.
In a video posted on his Instagram page, Elliot described what he called repeated obstruction of his loyalists.
“My name is Desmond Elliot and in all zones they have been intimidating and stopping us. I want to officially announce my withdrawal from this particular race,” he said.
He further explained that his supporters were present but allegedly blocked from gaining access to the voting areas.
“This is my ward. If you go outside, those are my people outside, they have not been allowed. So, I am officially announcing my withdrawal from this race. Good luck, thank you and God bless you,” he added.
Furthermore, the withdrawal has intensified discussions about fairness and transparency in the ongoing APC primaries.
However, Elliot had earlier stated on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily that he would remain in the race. He had insisted that no party leader pressured him to step down.
“Because I was not asked by him, my leader (Gbajabiamila), never,” he said.
He also referenced his consultation with political leaders before entering the race.
“Even the day I declared [to contest], I flew to Abuja to see him again to tell him, ‘Oga’, which is how I call him, ‘Oga, I am here again,’” he said.
Moreover, he stressed that the final decision should rest with voters, noting that leadership support was not withdrawn.
“But at the end of the day, I am here to also serve the people. I do have the leadership; I do have the people. So, the President has said, let the people decide. If they want you to continue, you continue,” he added.
The withdrawal has been linked to wider tensions within the APC primaries, where reports of internal disagreements have also emerged in other constituencies.
In addition, Elliot has served in the Lagos State House of Assembly since 2015, representing Surulere 1 under the APC platform.
Meanwhile, observers say the incident highlights ongoing challenges in managing internal party elections across Lagos State.
