March 31, 2023

The Management of The Polytechnic, Ibadan has suspended the Students Union Executives and its activities indefinitely over an alleged protest by students in the early hours of Monday.

The Students earlier protested concerning the increment in refusal fees for hostel accommodation from N5,000 to N15,000 and the use of a consultant to run the affairs of the school

It was confirmed in a statement on Monday by the institution’s registrar at Ibadan. The first-semester examination which is intended to commence on Monday, Jan. 9, has been postponed indefinitely.

Students had earlier blocked all access roads to the State Government Secretariat, while the school gate remained under lock and key, being guarded by the operatives of the Amotekun Security Outfit.According to Fawale, the management described the protest as ill-motivated and politically inclined.

“The Students Union body has no formal complaint before the management concerning the examination slated to commence on Monday, Jan. 9. And therefore, their protest to the state secretariat is questionable.”The management further noted that the students’ Union breached the rule of decency by locking all the gates that lead to the institution and thereby causing unwarranted hardship to their colleagues,” Fawale stated.

“It is on record that the Polytechnic, Ibadan students pay one of the lowest tuition fees among their contemporaries in the Southwest.“Payment of tuition has been made flexible and convenient, as students pay 60 percent of the tuition fee during the first semester and pay the remaining 40 percent during the second semester.”

“The Institution has not increased tuition in the last couple of years. Protesting on a day that they should be sober and commence their examination which is a major academic activity leading to the award of their diploma is ill-advised and politically motivated.“It is therefore of no reasonable value to the students and indeed to the development of education,” she added.

However,the management is reviewing the situation and will issue a statement on when the suspended examination will commence.“We appeal to students to return to class and prepare for their examinations. We also appeal to parents and guardians to call their wards to order,” Fawale said.

Marvelous Ogidi

View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published.