The Nigerian Army has on Tuesday denied allegation that its soldiers carried out a massacre of the EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate in Lagos.
This was disclosed in a statement by Major Osoba Olaniyi, Acting Deputy Director, Public Relations, 81 Division.
He said the allegations was “untrue, unfounded and aimed at causing anarchy in the country.”
“Mischief makers who will stop at nothing to tarnish the image of the Nigerian Army. This was a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away. The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that the LASG requested for military to intervene in order to restore normalcy, all laid down procedures for internal security operations, Finally, Headquarters 81 Division Nigerian Army reiterates that the Nigerian Army in the discharge of its constitutional responsibilities did not shoot at any civilian as there are glaring and convincing evidence to attest to this fact.” He said.
However, the Nigerian Army have been accused of firing live ammunition to disperse the #ENDSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Gate last week Tuesday.