The Maria Asumpta Cathedral Catholic Archdiocese in Owerri, Imo State last night was gutted in flames.
It was also gathered from an eyewitness that the fire started around 11:48pm and affected only a section of the main church building which went up in flame.
A Catholic priest who pledged anonymous said it was caused by an electrical fault “The fire was not that much. It was as a result of an electrical fault. It started from a room in the church where most of the wire connection was done. Yes, it damaged so many things. You know there was no how a fire will not damage something.“By God’s grace, the fire did not go far, with the efforts of other people it was put off. So it’s just an electrical fault.” he said.
Another eye witness among those who assisted in putting off the fire said “When the fire started we heard an explosion from the area. There were sparkling electrical wires and the next was the fire. It could be those electronic gadgets and musical instruments in that section of the church building. We thank God that it was not much. We saw it was the wrong wire connection. Many people came and were using water and other substance to extinguish the fire and lucky enough we succeeded in quenching the fire.”