March 2, 2024

A fatal bombing attack was reported in Istanbul, Turkey claiming lives of six persons as 50 others sustained injuries on Sunday

However ,the security forces has detained a female chief suspect involved in planting the bomb on Monday .Turkey’s Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu announced what authorities touted as a breakthrough as Soylu said, “A short while ago, the person who carried out the incident, who left the bomb, was detained by the Istanbul police; 21 other people had been detained.” An evidence was seen in a video footage of a woman appearing to leave a bag at the site of the bombing and then running away was released shortly after the attack.

The arrests are still ongoing,more than 50 being held as of early Monday.Turkish security forces named the suspect as Syrian national Ahlam Albashir. They claim she has confessed to being trained by the Kurdistan Workers Party, the PKK. But the PKK in a statement Monday denied involvement in the bombing, saying it doesn’t target civilians.So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The PKK has been fighting the Turkish state for greater Kurdish rights for more than 40 years. The militant group was linked to the bombing of an Istanbul football match in 2016, killing more than 40 people.

Ankara accused Syrian Kurdish militants backed by the United States for ordering the attack.Soylu said Turkey rejects the condolences of the American Embassy. Turkey, as he said, does not accept it.

He said, “It has been a disaster, you see. This is all that happened. People were fighting for their lives. There is nothing we can do”. Details of those killed by Sunday’s attack are now being released. A mother and son, a father and daughter, and a married couple, the oldest victim was 40.

Marvelous Ogidi

View all posts

Add comment

Your email address will not be published.