El-Rufai Grilled by EFCC as FG Files Fresh Charges

Former Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, is currently being questioned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in Abuja.

He may spend the night at the agency’s headquarters as investigators probe serious allegations.

The development has sparked tension in the Federal Capital Territory. Moreover, it comes alongside fresh charges filed by the Federal Government at the Federal High Court.

Advertisement

The unfolding El-Rufai EFCC investigation marks a dramatic turn in Nigeria’s political landscape.

EFCC operatives reportedly fired teargas to disperse the crowd. Pregnant women and children were said to have been affected during the chaos. However, officials have not released a detailed statement on the incident.

An EFCC source confirmed that the former governor is with investigators. “He is with our investigators, but cannot confirm how long he would be questioned, it is still early to know how long he will stay there,” the source said.

El-Rufai is being investigated over alleged financial misconduct involving about N432 billion. The allegations relate to loans obtained during his tenure as governor between 2015 and 2023.

A Kaduna State House of Assembly ad-hoc committee had earlier claimed the loans were mismanaged or used without proper procedure.

The former governor has denied wrongdoing. He insists the accusations are politically motivated.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has filed a separate three-count charge against him. The charge alleges that he unlawfully intercepted the phone communication of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The case was filed at the Abuja Division of the Federal High Court. A team of five prosecutors from the Department of State Services led by M. Ernest handled the filing.

According to court documents, the alleged offence was admitted during a television appearance. It was claimed that he stated on February 13, during Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme, that he aligned with others and unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications. The charge cites section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024.

The El-Rufai EFCC investigation has also drawn political reactions. Opposition figure Umar Sani described the situation in strong terms.

“Nasir El-Rufai’s engagements are deliberate and calculated designed to drag the government out of its comfort zone and force it into open confrontation.

“The objective is to expose the intellectual hollowness of those in power, publicly ridicule them, and push them into disarray. Fully aware that this government is intolerant of criticism, he exploits that weakness effectively.

“In this regard, he is succeeding. El-Rufai has become a one-man riot squad and, unmistakably, the face of the opposition.”

Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertisement