Wike Orders Arrest of Engineer After Abuja Building Collapse Kills Five

Residents around Abuja’s Durumi 3 area were thrown into chaos after a building under construction suddenly collapsed, leaving five people dead.

The tragic incident happened on Saturday morning and immediately triggered emergency rescue efforts at the crowded construction site. Moreover, several injured victims were rushed to nearby hospitals for urgent medical treatment.

On Monday, Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, visited the scene and ordered a full investigation into the disaster. He also confirmed that both the developer and an engineer connected to the project would face arrest.

Advertisement

According to the Mandate Secretary for Health and Human Services, Adedolapo Fasawe, rescue workers pulled 15 people from the rubble.

She explained that nine victims were rescued alive. However, one person reportedly remains in critical condition.

Speaking during his inspection of the site, Wike described the incident as heartbreaking and avoidable.

“From the report I got, we lost five people, and some lives were saved. It’s very pathetic. Nobody is happy when you lose somebody,” the minister said.

Furthermore, he revealed that the Department of Development Control had already sealed the property to prevent further activity.

“The Department of Development Control has sealed off the premises. We are going to set up a panel to really look at what happened. One of the engineers has been arrested already. From there, we’ll get to the developer, and the developer will also be arrested,” Wike said.

The minister added that the FCT Administration had fully taken over the matter while investigations continue.

Meanwhile, government officials are examining whether construction standards were ignored during the project.

Wike also warned developers against frustrating officials responsible for inspecting construction sites across Abuja.

According to him, some developers attempt to use pressure and public attacks to stop enforcement activities by government agencies.

In addition, he stressed the importance of using approved materials and conducting proper soil tests before construction begins.

“In the construction of buildings, we must know the quality. What materials are they using? Are they doing the soil test? What is the result of the soil test? Can it allow for two floors or three floors? All these are very key,” he said.

The minister noted that protecting lives remains one of government’s most important responsibilities.

“How can you buy back these lives? They are gone. That is the responsibility of government: to protect life and property,” he added.

Meanwhile, preliminary findings from the Standards Organisation of Nigeria reportedly suggest that poor cement quality may have contributed to the collapse.

Fasawe therefore advised developers and residents to obtain proper approvals before starting any building project in the capital city.

However, many residents are now demanding stricter monitoring of construction projects to prevent another deadly incident in Abuja.

Add a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Keep Up to Date with the Most Important News

By pressing the Subscribe button, you confirm that you have read and are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
Advertisement